Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Nikujaga

This recipe was taught to me by my host mother when I lived in Japan for 6 months during high school. It is a beef and potato stew that is a popular home-style Japanese meal. The green beans aren't always used in nikujaga but my host mother liked to add them to give the dish a bit of green. I've also made this dish in a slow cooker and it turned out well.

NIKUJAGA (Japanese beef and potato stew)

Ingredients
1 large brown onion, chopped roughly
100g green beans, chopped in half
1 1/2 carrots, sliced

4-5 potatoes, cut into chunks

450-500g beef, diced

soy sauce (approx 1/3 cup)

brown sugar (approx 3 tablespoons)

1 cup water

a splash of sake or mirin (optional)

1 sachet of bonito flakes (optional)


Bonito flakes can be found at any Asian grocery shop. They used to sell it at Safeway but I haven't been able to find it the last few times I've been there. It is basically just dried fish flakes.

Method:
Step 1: Brown beef in a pan
Step 2: Add onions, potatoes and carrots
Step 3: Add water, soy sauce, sugar and optional extras (bonito/sake) - to taste
Step 4: simmer for approx 20 mins (add more water/sugar/soy sauce if needed)
Step 5: Add green beans
Step 6: Simmer until beans are tender. Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment