Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ricotta Pancakes with Banana and Honeycomb Butter

I had some left-over ricotta from the omnivore lasagna I made on Sunday (and it's use by date was today!) so I went searching for some recipes that would use up the rest of it. I came across Bill Granger's ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter on the Australian Women's Weekly website and it sounded delish! (see recipe here)

I made a few alterations to the recipe (mainly because I couldn't be bothered beating egg whites!) and just threw everything in the one bowl to make the pancakes. I'm sure they would be a lot lighter and fluffier if I had followed the recipe, but they were absolutely fine and my husband gobbled it down.

I used a smashed up crunchie bar for the honeycomb and substituted golden syrup for the honey (because I'm not keen on the taste of honey no matter how hard I try and make myself like it). I also lightly caramalised the banana in a pan with a little golden syrup before putting them on the pancakes (used the same pan to save the washing up!).

There is no need to wait 2 hrs for the butter either (unless you want to cut it in pretty shapes from a log), I just put the bowl that I mixed it up in straight in the fridge while I got on with the pancakes. It was (softly) set by the time I was finished which was fine.


VEGETABLE PASTA

For dinner we had a simple vegetable pasta with an olive oil based sauce. We had onion, mushroom, tomatoes, peas, spinach leaves and garlic in it. You can add whatever veggies you have in the fridge. I usually try to have 1-2 vegetarian meals a week (to help save $ and prevent bowel cancer!) and usually one of these dishes is a pasta. Often I use a tomato-based sauce because it's a little healthier than the olive oil based sauce - but I like the olive oil one for a bit of a change.


Now I have to go and lie down because I've eaten far to much............

1 comment:

  1. Cherry, your ricotta pancakes look great. I love ricotta cheese. So yummy!

    You also left a comment on my blog and asked if the Pampered Chef pineapple wedger was dishwasher safe. Great question.... that I should have included in my review. The answer is yes. The wedger and cover that it comes with is. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete