Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sago Chop Casserole with lemon and garlic beans

This recipe was given to me by my mother and it reminds me of my childhood. It's a great meal for when the weather is getting cooler and is as cheap as anything! Very quick to put together as well - preparation time is only around 5 minutes (add more time for mashed potato/beans). I use the lamb forequarter chops, which are often sold very cheaply in bulk.

For best results - bung it all into a slow cooker. However, it can also be done in the oven as I did this evening (didn't plan ahead long enough to use the slow cooker!).

I like to serve this dish with deliciously buttery mashed potato and green beans with lemon and garlic (see recipe below). Although it doesn't sound that appetising, give it a go - people have always commented on how yummy it is (and how they were surprised!!)


SAGO CHOP CASSEROLE

Ingredients:

6 lamb chops (cheapies will do, I use the forequarter ones)
1 brown onion (chopped)
2 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup tomato sauce (can substitute with a cup of tomato-based pasta sauce if you wish)
1/2 cup sago (found in the pudding/jelly aisle of the supermarket)
3 tablespoons worstershire sauce
chopped carrot

Method:
Put all ingredients into a casserole dish, except the carrot, and bake at 200C for 15 mins.
Add the carrot and bake for a further 30-40 minutes.

Serve with mashed potato and lemon & garlic beans

LEMON AND GARLIC BEANS

Ingredients:
Green beans
Several cloves of garlic
Juice of one lemon

Method:
Steam beans until almost cooked. Put in a hot pan and add garlic. squeeze lemon juice over the top and serve.

(Pic 1: before it went in the oven)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cherry. Just wanted to say welcome to blog land and thanks for your comment on my blog, Simply Red. I can't wait to see more of your recipes. These look good so far. I love to cook , too..... well , baking is my favorite! Anyway, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious meal - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly say I've never heard of using sago in a savoury meal but I'm so intrigued! Love the ease of this recipe - may have to give it a go this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is really interesting but I guess sago could be like cooking it with couscous! :)

    ReplyDelete